Dr. Saad Saad is a qualified pediatric surgeon. He has been in this industry for the past four decades. He has experience in removing foreign objects from the body. Mostly he has removed foreign objects that have stuck in the windpipes and the esophagus.
As a pediatric surgeon, he has dealt with children between the ages of six months and 14 years to get the necessary treatment. He has helped them to get rid of foreign objects that were in their bodies.
As we know, children are normally curious and will be quick to put anything they get on their hands into their mouths. Read more: Life Lessons from Dr. Saad Saad, Pediatric Surgeon and When a Child Swallows a Foreign Object – Advice by Dr. Saad Saad
The cases are normally rampant when the child is young. Most of the times, the objects they swallow go through the esophagus and into the stomach without many complications. However, this is not always the case.
Some ties the object will get stuck in the windpipe or esophagus creating a state of emergency. Some of the signs of a child who has swallowed something that has stuck in these areas normally include wheezing, difficulties swallowing and breathing. Some of the common foreign objects include coins, peanuts, and even hot dogs. Learn more about Dr Saad Saad: https://www.crunchbase.com/person/dr-saad-saad
These objects might not go directly to the stomach and may get stuck on the way prompting immediate medical assistance.
According to Dr. Saad Saad, one of the first aid measures that parents should take when dealing with children who are less than six years so that you should hold them upside down.
While holding their legs, tap them at the back, and the object will most likely come out. For children older than six years, the best solution is to wrap your hands from their behind and then apply pressure on their abdomen. In most cases, the child will just cough the object out.
However, if all of these do not work, rush him or her to the nearest medical facility in an emergency case. Dr. Saad is warning adults from using their fingers to try and remove objects they are trying to swallow. Such a move can easily lead to the object getting more inside into the esophagus.
In cases of emergency that involve swallowing of foreign objects, an x-ray is done. However, one problem with an x-ray is that it can only determine something like a coin. The machine cannot detect peanuts. One a coin is detected, the child should be taken through an operation known as bronchoscopy.
Dr. Saad Saad is one of the surgeons who has performed many such operations. He knows what these children need and can, therefore, assist in cases they have swallowed foreign objects. In his career, he has even created a device that can be used to trace the opposition of the foreign object.